"Sour Milk Gill" Oil Painting by James Swanson

"Sour Milk Gill" Oil Painting by James Swanson
"Sour Milk Gill" From the award winning painting series.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Something Old, Is New Again.

"Old Juke Joint"
By James Swanson
12"x16" Oil on panel
Traveler Carrie Layne Mashon
Here are the painting steps to this old juke joint.

Times a Wastin, Let's get Paintin.
Living in Alberta Canada the days tend to start getting pretty short when fall arrives. So those golden hours of artistic light get very precious.
Carrie Layne Mashon
 That is where we meet our next Traveler Carrie Layne Mashon. Carrie lives and works there in Alberta and was kind enough to post some of here inviting photos for me to paint.
Carrie's photo that inspired the painting
Traveler Painting "The Old Juke Joint" Carrie and I belong to the same painting group. When Carrie posted her photo  I had to paint it. It was just one of those images that said paint me to me. So I jumped to it. Here are my painting steps to The Old Juke Joint.
The sketch on canvas to start. Here I've also painted in the darkest dark colors.  These warm darks I will try and not touch too much through out the painting.

Next up is to paint the next darkest colors. The dynamic mountain in the background really  helps speed this painting along. The cool shadow is all blues and deep purples.

Here the painting is totally blocked-in.  OK it's blocked in now its time to make some adjustments.

Done. I  kind of got caught up in this one and didn't take pictures of a couple of steps. But I think you can see how the painting changes from the last image. 
Details from the painting



Framed and ready to go.
"Old Juke Joint"
By James Swanson
12"x16" Oil on panel
Traveler Carrie Layne Mashon
My Thanks goes out to Traveler Carrie for the use of her image and kind words about the painting.
It's a big wide world out there and I'm still looking for Travelers to Germany India and China.Until next time adios amigo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a good travel story and some fun and interesting pictures and we can get started on a painting journey.E mail me here with
name, place, and a few pics of the spot,and I'll get back to you.